Reviews of Best Credit Repair Companies of 2017
How do you know which credit repair company suits you best?
There are so many credit repair services available today, that it can be intimidating to find out which ones are reputable or not. Will these companies repair your credit for sure? Are they trustworthy enough to aid your relationship with lenders or will they just make things worse? Will they charge you so much and only raise your credit score a few points? These are all valid questions, ones which we asked ourselves while researching and reviewing these credit repair companies. Some services stood out, and are rated highly based on my own research. They have unique features that separate them from the rest, so which one should you use? Here are a few summaries:
- Which Are the Best Credit Repair Companies Around?
- Best Credit Repair Company Overall: Sky Blue
- Best Credit Repair Company for Savings: The Credit People
- Best Credit Repair Company for Extras: Lexington Law
- Best Credit Repair Company for Identity Theft: CreditRepair.com
- Best Credit Repair Company for Simplicity: Credit Assistance Network
- Bonus Award : Ovation Credit Repair
- How does Credit Repair Work?
- What do Credit Repair companies do?
- What Credit Repair services should I expect to see?
- How will I know which is the Best Credit Repair company for me?
Credit Repair Review: Sky Blue
Things You Need to Know
- Price: SkyBlue Credit Repair has an impressively low price, probably the lowest in the industry. Their Initial Fee is $59, and then it is only $59 a month after that.
- Features: Sky Blue Credit Repair is one of the best credit repair services, but know it doesn’t have all the fancy services other companies offer. They are straightforward with their services, which include fixing mistakes on your credit report, sending good faith letters to your lenders, and looking for legal loopholes so your credit score will improve or go back to a normal one.
- Cancellation: SkyBlue’s services are month-to-month, so you can cancel at any time.
- Reputation: SkyBlue is considered to be one of the top credit repair services, with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. It’s also top-ranking across various review sites.
- Guarantee: SkyBlue is one of the few credit repair services which give a full 90-day refund regardless of your reason.
- Customer Service: Users often reach out to say how helpful SkyBlue’s customer service is, which is (in a good way) unusual for a credit repair service.
Initial Fee: $59
Monthly Fee: $59
BBB Rating: A+
Phone: (888) 534-1510
Credit Repair Review: Lexington Law
Things You Need to Know
- Price: Lexington Law Credit Repair has three different service tiers. They cost $79.95/month, $99.95/month or $119.95/month, depending on which service you choose.
- Features: The first tier of service, Concord Standard, offers basic credit repair similar to what SkyBlue offers. The second tier, Concord Premier, adds a second level of credit repair assistance, plus monthly credit monitoring and credit score improvement analysis. The third tier, PremierPlus, adds identity fraud alerts and access to personal finance tools which help you monitor your finances.
- Cancellation: Lexington Law’s services are month-to-month. You can cancel at any time.
- Reputation: Lexington Law is the only credit repair service run by actual lawyers. It also has an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Guarantee: Lexington Law only charges for the work they have already completed.
- Customer Service: Lexington Law has a comprehensive customer service network. You can reach them via phone, email, and chat.
Initial Fee: $79.95
Monthly Fee: $79.95
BBB Rating: A-
Phone: (844) 259-3376
Credit Repair Review: The Credit People
Things You Need to Know
- Price: One of the most attractive things about The Credit People is they offer a 7-day trial for only $19. You can then pay monthly for $59 a month, but they also give you the option of a lump-sum price of $299 for 6 months of service.
- Features: Much like SkyBlue, The Credit People only offer straightforward credit repair services. This includes fixing mistakes on your credit report, sending letters of good faith to your lenders, and looking for legal loopholes so your credit score goes back to where it should be.
- Cancellation: You can cancel at any time if you are dissatisfied, regardless if you go with the lump-sum option or go with the month-to-month option.
- Reputation: The Credit People has mixed reviews – averaging to a B rating on The Credit People. Some online reviews rave about the services, while some were disappointed. However, everyone agrees that their money-back guarantee is truly a great perk.
- Guarantee: The Credit People has the best guarantee that we’ve seen so far. You can get 100% money back at any point during the 6-month period if you are not satisfied.
- Customer Service: There is limited customer service, with phone hours only between 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Otherwise you can only reach them through email customer service, but The Credit People will get back to you within 24 hours.
Initial Fee: $19
Monthly Fee: $59
BBB Rating: B
Phone: (844) 528-2246
Credit Repair Review: CreditRepair.com
Things You Need to Know
- Price: CreditRepair.com offers their services all-inclusive at $99.95.
- Features: CreditRepair.com offers all the basics of credit repair, including letters of good faith, fixing mistakes on your report, and using loopholes to contest items. The company also communicates directly with credit card issuers and the credit bureaus to make sure these changes have been made. Lastly, they will monitor your credit, and you will have access to a sleek user interface that helps you track your progress.
- Cancellation: You can cancel anytime as CreditRepair.com’s services are on a month-to-month basis.
- Reputation: CreditRepair.com has a solid reputation with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Guarantee: Similar to Lexington Law, CreditRepair.com will only charge you for the month once they have completed the work they’ve promised you.
- Customer Service: As mentioned, CreditRepair.com has a sleek user interface. This makes the need for customer service less, but their customer service is still great regardless.
Initial Fee: $99.95
Monthly Fee: $99.95
BBB Rating: A+
Phone: (844) 764-9863
Which Are the Best Credit Repair Companies Around?
First off, you should know that most credit repair companies should be able to accomplish all of the following:
- Pull your credit report from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion)
- Spot errors on your credit reports
- Help improve your FICO score
- Negotiate with your lenders to remove any negative items
- Legally take advantage of loopholes in credit repair law so these negative items are removed from your credit reports
Best Credit Repair Company Overall: Sky Blue
Price: Sky Blue Credit Repair is definitely the most affordable credit repair service we have found. Most companies charge an initial fee that usually exceeds $100, Sky Blue only charges $59. In addition, their monthly payment after is also $59. Most credit repair services claim they may raise your score within 6 months, so you can be assured you won’t be paying that amount indefinitely.
Features: Because of their low service price, Sky Blue Credit Repair doesn’t really offer all the fancy bells and whistles other credit repair agencies have. All they do is give you straightforward credit repair services, including fixing mistakes on your credit report, sending letters of good faith to your lenders, and utilizing legal loopholes to get your credit score back to normal.
Reputation: Sky Blue Credit Repair has received an “A+” score – one of the highest Better Business Bureau ratings that we’ve seen for a credit repair service. Their company is transparent in what they offer, and they already have 20 years of experience in the credit repair industry.
Guarantee: One of the best things Sky Blue Credit Repair offers is their 100% 90-day guarantee. You can get a full refund if you are not satisfied, regardless of your reason. That’s a pretty strong sign of confidence, being able to offer a full refund even when there are plenty of scammers hiding in plain sight.
Best Credit Repair Company for Savings: The Credit People
The Credit People is at $59 a month, the same price as SkyBlue. The difference is that they have interesting incentives that make them one of the most affordable credit repair companies around. First, you can sign up for a 7-day trial for only $19. They also offer a lump-sum option of $299 for 6 months of service, which allows you to save a total of $55 in comparison to paying monthly.
What Does It Cost?
The Credit People can offer you $19 for a 7-day trial, $59 a month for the monthly service, and a discounted $299 for the lump-sum cost option of 6 months. You can cancel your service at any time.
Best Credit Repair Company for Extras: Lexington Law
Price: Lexington Law has an initial fee of $99.95, and you can pay $10 for them to pull your credit reports. After that, you pay $59.95 a month for their basic package, which includes everything that SkyBlue offers, plus access to a paralegal who can give you other ways to help raise your credit score, plus him or her deals with your account. Additional features are available through other packages which can cost either $79.95/month (Concord package) or $99.95/month (Concord Premier package).
Features: The basic package offers what’s previously mentioned, but the Concord package also offers extra scrutiny when it comes to the FTC regulations that lenders have to follow when reporting to the credit bureaus. If it’s found that lenders aren’t following those regulations, Lexington Law can request that information be removed from your report. The Concord Premier package includes that, plus monthly credit monitoring and identity theft protection.
Reputation: With lawyers and paralegals on their side, plus being around longer than SkyBlue has been in the industry, Lexington Law has an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau, making them a reputable and trustworthy company.
Guarantee: Lexington Law’s guarantee depends on the work that they promise you, so be sure to read over your agreement before signing anything. They only charge for the work they have already completed. However, it is not a 100% money-back guarantee like Sky Blue’s.
Best Credit Repair Company for Identity Theft: CreditRepair.com
CreditRepair.com has a personalized dashboard and visual representation, so it helps you strategize fixing your credit. They will help you manage the dispute resolution process to remove negative items from your credit report. They report an average of 7% percent decrease in the number of questionable negative items for their clients each month.
What Does It Cost?
CreditRepair.com offers simple, straight-forward pricing at $99.95 per month, with no contracts or commitments. If you sign up to them along with someone else, you can both save $50 on your first month.
Best Credit Repair Company for Simplicity: Credit Assistance Network
The owner of Credit Assistance Network has had years of experience in the industry, which makes up for the company’s relative newness. The company started in 2004, with little information about their actual success. However, their website details their list of services, but take note they never mention much about reasonable expectations. Make sure you read their FAQ page to get more details about what you can expect from them.
What Does It Cost?
Interestingly enough, Credit Assistance Network does not post their pricing. Instead, you must fill out a request for a “free credit analysis.” In an industry where transparency is a key indicator of trustworthiness, may raise some red flags.
Bonus Award : Ovation Credit Repair
While the company is also relatively new, having started in 2004, they have established quite a solid reputation in credit repair. The BBB has given them an A+ rating, and the company also offers the elusive 100% money-back guarantee, giving you the opportunity to try their services at no risk to you. They offer unlimited disputes, direct submission to the credit bureaus, and personalized service with an action plan, giving you all the tools you need to learn cleaning up your credit.
What Does It Cost?
Ovation offers two basic plans, with some customization options:
- Essentials – At $59 a month, this is one of the more affordable options for credit repair services. Note there is an additional $89 setup fee, plus you will need to provide a copy of your credit report to get started. For additional and separate one-time fees, you can get same-day processing and identity optimization.
- Essentials Plus – Also at $89 to setup and rated $89 per month, you get all of the above plus the company sending out creditor goodwill letters on your behalf asking for negative items to be removed. In addition, you also get TransUnion credit monitoring, which means you’re notified anytime there is activity that may affect your score.
How does Credit Repair Work?
Credit repair works by removing or changing items from your credit report which drag your credit report down. By fixing these mistakes on your credit report, including negotiating with lenders so negative reporting is either removed or changed, or utilizing legal loopholes in credit reporting rules and regulations to have these negative items taken out. While it’s possible to do all of these by yourself, credit repair services have better industry knowledge and legal understanding of how credit repair works, as well as how to get these things done more efficiently.
What do Credit Repair companies do?
First, your selected credit repair agency should asses your credit situation. They will look at your credit report, which you will (generally) have to provide, but some can offer doing it for you for a minimal fee. Next, they will give you a proposed plan they think would be best in improving your credit score. This may include fixing errors, negotiating with your lenders, and contesting items that can be easily removed. After you’ve agreed on a plan, they can then start taking action. However, remember that while things may seem l to move slowly, too many inquiries from credit bureaus may seem suspicious, raise red flags, and do more harm than good. It’s important to take note, though, that credit repair companies will not help you with credit card debt, which many assume they do.
What Credit Repair services should I expect to see?
Once again, this all depends on your credit report. If you find you have a lot of errors on it, be it factual errors or misreporting from your lenders, the credit repair company should prioritize fixing these errors. There are a number of ways your selected credit repair company can attack negative items in your credit report. If you have a good history of credit usage in the past, or you have a good track record for the past few years, the company will most likely try to negotiate with your lenders so that some negative items are removed from your credit reports. If you have negative items from lenders that are historically unresponsive, the credit repair company may try to contest those items as credit bureaus only have 30 days to verify such information. If they can’t verify those, the items can and must be removed from your report. However, remember that credit repair agencies generally cannot protect you from identity theft.
How will I know which is the Best Credit Repair company
Finding out which company can cater to your situation will depend on what you’re looking for. Are you looking for affordable, basic services? Then a straightforward company like Sky Blue Credit Repair is one of the best choices – affordable monthly price that delivers great results. If price isn’t an issue and you need extra services like identity theft protection and monthly credit monitoring, companies like CreditRepair.com and Lexington Law can offer these. If you are worried about getting your money’s worth, companies such as Sky Blue Credit Repair and The Credit People both offer 100% money-back guarantees. While the former’s guarantee has a 90-day limit, the latter’s has no time limit.